Saturday, August 28, 2010

Remember me?

It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

When Sana was born I made a vow to myself that I wasn’t going to let this blog be taken over by all the cutesy adorable things that she does, both because a) I believe the View of the Marching Fishes brand, such as it is, appeals to a sophisticated audience that wants to read about my falling off of bikes and failing to find Vicious Wild Hamsters and b) I’m already doing the Daddy-blogging thing over here (or at least someone leading my life but with differently-named wife and daughter is writing over there).

Given that almost nothing in my life occurs without Sana, it’s hard to find things to write about that meet my fairly strict criteria (I saw Inception though! Highlight of the year so far! Anyone want to talk about it?) I also went to Nova Scotia, and I’m sorry I missed pretty much everyone I know there.

So, why am I writing now? Well, a sufficient number of hilariously bad things have happened to me this week, but I think the baby’s stirring, so I can only list them point form:

1) My work visa expires next week, so I will be out of a job, until it is renewed.

2) It might not be renewed until October.

3) I am way behind on the newsletter I need to finish before I am out of my job, and so, need to work all weekend.

4) My work computer (with the entire newsletter on it) died last night, and is now in the shop. I don’t think this is going to help my “please re-hire me” case.

5) This means I had to go to the nearest Apple store and get service at their “Genius Bar.” I’m still trying to get the smell of smug out of my cloths.

6) We renewed our lease here just before leaving. On our return, we discovered we’ve been accepted into subsidized post-doc housing at UCLA, meaning we have to break said lease.

7) It also means we have to get out of here by September 1. We can’t move into the new place until September 10.

8) We have no friends to help us move.

9) Sana is teething, and appears to either have a cold, or a tributary to the Mississippi in her nose. She’s been an adorable crawling ball of tears and mucus all week.

At some point, I’m going to write a proper post (though lord knows on what. One potential topic: Did anyone know I have a Canadian accent? Why did no one tell me before?)

1 comment:

Belsohni said...

Hey Mark,
Medical doctors say this is without basis, but folk medicine in my family says teething is often accompanied by cold like symptoms, including fever and red cheeks sometimes. Tummy troubles too. We used fennel water for the tummy. Crushed clove rubbed on the gums for topical pain.
Courage!